Cheese and Spinach Pie
- 2 bunches about 600g each spinach, leaves picked, washed, dried
- 125 ml 1/2 cup water
- 1 large brown onion halved, finely chopped
- 200 g reduced-fat ricotta
- 60 g reduced-fat feta crumbled
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup loosely packed coarsely chopped fresh continental parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons reduced-fat dairy spread melted
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Place the spinach and 2 tablespoons of the water in a large saucepan. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until spinach wilts. Drain and set aside for 20 minutes to cool. Use your hands to squeeze out as much excess liquid as possible. Coarsely chop spinach and place in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining water and onion in a saucepan and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until onion softens. Remove from heat. Drain.
- Add the onion, ricotta and feta to the spinach and stir to combine. Whisk together eggs and egg whites in a jug. Add to the spinach mixture along with the parsley and nutmeg. Stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place filo sheets on a clean work surface. Cover with a dry tea towel, then a damp tea towel (this will prevent it drying out). Combine the oil and melted spread in a bowl. Lightly brush twothirds of 1 filo sheet with oil mixture. Fold crossways into thirds. Cut in half crossways. Line a 3cm-deep, round 11cm (top measurement) pie tin with half the pastry. Spoon one-sixth of the spinach mixture into the pie case and top with the remaining pastry to enclose filling. Press corners together to seal. Brush lightly with oil mixture. Repeat, in 6 more batches, with the remaining pastry, oil mixture and spinach mixture.
- Place pies on a baking tray and use a small sharp knife to cut 2 small slits in the top of each pie. Bake in preheated oven for 23-25 minutes or until golden brown and puffed. Carefully transfer pies to serving plates and serve immediately.