Healthy Sweet Honey and Walnut Snacks
- 75 g 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 115 g 1/3 cup honey
- 125 ml 1/2 cup thickened cream
- 150 g slivered almonds
- 100 g 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 70 g 1/2 cup pistachios, halved
- 60 g dried apricots (see note) finely chopped
- 1 orange zested
- 200 g dark chocolate 70% cocoa solids, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 160C. Stir sugar, honey and cream in a small saucepan until well combined, then place over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then boil for 10 minutes or until thick and dark golden.
- Line an oven tray with baking paper. Place remaining ingredients, except chocolate, in a large bowl, then pour over honey mixture and stir well to combine. Spoon florentine mixture over the tray and leave for 3 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Pressing with damp hands, shape the mixture into a 15cm x 35cm rectangle (use the edge of a ruler to help form a perfect edge).
- Bake for 22 minutes or until nuts are dark golden. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool and firm. Place a piece of baking paper over the top of the florentine, then top with a second oven tray. Flip florentine onto the second tray, remove baking paper and return florentine to oven for a further 10 minutes or until the top is no longer sticky. Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until cool and firm. Trim florentine edges.
- Place three-quarters of the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl over a saucepan one-third full with simmering water and stir until melted. Remove the bowl from the pan. Place the bowl over a second bowl 2cm deep with cold water and immediately add remaining chocolate and stir until melted and mixture is a spreadable consistency. Spread chocolate over florentine and refrigerate for 15 minutes or until set.
- Cut florentine into wedges to serve.