Cinnamon Doughnut Balls
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup caster sugar extra
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Vegetable oil for shallow-frying
- Sift flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Stir in sugar. Make a well. Add egg, vanilla and milk. Stir well to combine.
- Combine extra sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl.
- Add enough oil to a large, deep frying pan to come 4cm up side of pan. Heat over medium-high heat (see note). Drop 1 tablespoon of batter into oil. Repeat 5 more times. Cook, turning, until doughnuts are puffed and golden all over. Using a slotted spoon, transfer doughnuts to a plate lined with paper towel to drain. Toss doughnuts in cinnamon mixture to coat all over. Transfer to a baking paper-lined wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter and cinnamon mixture.