Italian Breakfast Scones
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 60 g butter chilled, chopped
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Buttermilk extra, for brushing
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves finely chopped
- [widget id="shortcodes-ultimate-2"]
- Preheat oven to 220C/200C fan-forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Position oven rack in the top half of oven.
- Sift flour, sugar and salt into a bowl. Add butter. Using fingertips, rub butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add tomato and basil.
- Make a well in centre of mixture. Add buttermilk. Using a flat-bladed knife, stir until a sticky dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently until just smooth.
- Roll dough out to a 20cm square. Cut into 16 squares.
- Place scones, just touching, on prepared tray. Brush with buttermilk. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and hollow when tapped on top. Serve for breakfast.