Homemade Cheddar Cheese Snack Crackers
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard optional
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1. In a food processor, pulse everything except water together until it looks like course crumbs.
- 2. While pulsing, add in water 1 tablespoon at a time.
- 3. Remove from food processor, wrap in plastic wrap and put in refrigerator for at least 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 4. Roll out dough (quite thin--I think mine would have been slightly better had they been a bit thinner) and cut into squares. Use a toothpick, or the end of a scissors (I had to improvise, the toothpick wasn't making a big enough hole for my liking) to poke a hole in the middle of each cracker.
- 5. Place crackers on lined baking sheet (I used Silpat and parchment paper--both were fine). You can place them fairly close together, as they do not really expand.
- 6. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until crispy. Mine could have gone a bit longer--they aren't quite like the crackers you buy in the store.
- note: I used my food processor shredder blade to shred an 8 ounce blade of cheese. It takes about two seconds...and since I was already getting the food processor dirty, it was a no-brainer.