Crispy Quinoa and Pumpkin Croquettes
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 75 g feta cheese crumbled
- 100 g 1/2 cup Quinoa, rinsed
- 2 500g potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 250 g butternut pumpkin peeled, chopped
- 75 g 1/2 cup plain flour + 2 tbs extra
- 50 g 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 45 g 1/4 cup currants
- 2,5 dl 1 cup water
- 2 eggs lightly whisked
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander chopped, plus extra, to serve
- Grape seed oil to shallow fry
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Tomato relish lemon wedges and salad leaves, to serve
- [widget id="shortcodes-ultimate-2"]
- Heat some oil in a saucepan over low heat. Add the onion, the garlic and the cumin. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes until soft. Stir in currants for 1 minutes. Stir in quinoa and water. Bring to a simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 14 minutes until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Cool.
- Boil pumkin and potato in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 15-17 minutes until tender. Drain well. Return to pan. Cook, shaking pan, over low heat for 1 minute until excess water evaporates. Mash them. Transfer to a bowl. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Place flour and breadcrumbs on separate plates. Place egg in a shallow bowl.
- Combine quinoa mixture, pumpkin mixture, feta, coriander and extra flour in a bowl. Season well. Shape into twelve 10-12cm croquettes. Dip in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs. Transfer to lined tray.
- Add oil to a frying pan to come 2cm up side. Heat over medium-low heat. Cook croquettes, in 3 batches, turning, for 4 minutes until crisp. Drain on paper towel. Serve with relish, lemon wedges, coriander and salad.