- 1 5 1/2 oz jar of small pitted green olives (or fresh olives from an olive bar)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- vegetable oil for frying
1. In a heavy bottomed pot heat an inch of vegetable oil until it reaches 325-350 degrees on a thermometer.
2. While it is heating, set out the flour in a pie plate or shallow dish, and the breadcrumbs in another. Beat the egg with a tablespoon of water in a small bowl.
3. Dredge the olives in the flour, and then into the beaten egg.
4. Toss them into the breadcrumbs and make sure they get evenly coated.
5. Fry the olives in the hot oil until they are golden, this will take about a minute and a half. Do this in batches so the oil doesn’t cool down when you add the olives.
6. Drain the olives on a paper towel, and serve hot.
Tip: For an easy aioli dipping sauce, mix 1/3 cup mayonnaise with a finely minced clove of garlic, and the juice of 1/2 a large lemon. Whisk the sauce until it’s smooth and creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste.