Bottom 200 g almond paste 1.25 cup granulated sugar 0.5 cups of egg whites 1 tbsp cocoa Filling 250g butter, softened 1.5 cups powdered sugar 2 tsp vanilla 2 egg yolks 100g frozen strawberries Garnish 150 g of white chocolate a little dark chocolate if desired Directions: Bottoms: Grate the almond paste and mix by …
Sichuan Onion Rings
- 4 brown onions cut into rings
- Vegetable oil to deep-fry
- 190 g 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 50 g 1/3 cup cornflour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 310 ml 1 1/4 cups iced water
- 1 long fresh red chilli thinly sliced
- 1 shallot trimmed, thinly sliced
- [widget id="shortcodes-ultimate-2"]
- Place the onion in a bowl of cold water. Set aside for 10 minutes. Drain. Place on a baking tray lined with paper towel and set aside for 5 minutes. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Add oil to a saucepan to reach a depth of 10cm. Heat to 190°C over high heat.
- Sift flour, cornflour, baking powder, salt, bicarbonate of soda, white pepper, black pepper and chilli powder in a bowl. Add the water and whisk until just combined. Place the bowl over a bowl filled with iced water.
- Dip one-third of the onion, 1 at a time, into the batter to coat. Add to oil. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a tray lined with paper towel. Repeat, in 2 more batches, with the remaining batter and onion, reheating oil between batches. Place the onion on a platter. Top with chilli and shallot.